Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Other stuff, part 3 - Mr. Massive

Mr. Massive isn't a project that I'm actively pursuing right now, but it'll always have a special place in my heart because it was the first full-size book I actually took the time to work on from start to finish and self publish.

The character himself is something of a spoof of DC's Captain Marvel or maybe even the more obscure Prime - he's a kid who turns into a superhero with unbelievable powers, except he uses them for all selfish reasons and very few of the right ones. Think of a superhero with attention deficit disorder and you're on the right track.

The theme of the book is pretty much straight up comedy, which I'm a huge fan of but can realize that it's difficult to find an outlet for such a concept. The picture at top is probably the best work that artist and co-creator Artboy_X (I'm not sure if he's still calling himself that) has ever done - he certainly took his time and got all the details right. The book itself is one that I can still read and get a chuckle from, and I'm notoriously hard on my own work after I'm a little bit removed from it, so that tells me that something was right with it.

I'm taking the time to mention this because Mr. Massive will be featured in the backup story to Teddy and the Yeti issue #2, which I'm currently getting ready for print. The short story features art by the illustrious Paul Tucker and you can find a preview in the comics section of the main site.

Some characters that I work on or try to develop lose steam after a while, but I find myself able to write down new jokes for the big guy pretty much any time I give it a chance. Maybe some day I'll get to return to this character.