Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My life in six lines or fewer

A few days ago I received a mailer from the Pittsburgh Comicon - the cover image changes from year to year, but it's amusing how those at the con have managed to put out the same basic show advertisement since I first attended with my dad nearly 15 years ago.  I remember being so excited getting this in the mail when I was younger - I even took a copy one year and had golden age Green Lantern creator Mart Nodell sign it (a story for another time to be sure).  Heck, I might even still have it stored away in a box somewhere.  Anyway, this year's mailer features a cover by Tom Mandrake with the Spectre, a character he's known for, and...a skull.

If you take a peek inside, you'll eventually stumble upon this:


This is quite a thrill, of course.  Seeing your name in print is always fun (unless you're, I don't know, getting arrested and it's in the police blotter or something), and this time is no exception, though it's a little disconcerting to think that everything I've worked so hard to accomplish in the realm of comics can be summed up (rather nicely at that) in just about six full lines of text.  I suppose that most of the comic professionals got just as much space, so perhaps this makes it look like we've had the same number of accomplishments.  Two sides of the same coin, perhaps.

Once again my "right next to Scott McDaniel" thunder was stolen by Jeff McComsey, the man who shares the same first seven letters of my name.  Perhaps I will meet him at the show, and we will fight.  But perhaps not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff McComsey said...

Though the damage is done we can still fight to the death, ya know if you want to.

Larry Franks said...

I got front row tickets to this one. I'll bring the popcorn.

Lauren said...

It would be even better is you have your shirt ripped off and "accidentally" fall into one of those kiddie pools full of pudding.

Larry Franks said...

"It would be even better is you have your shirt ripped off and "accidentally" fall into one of those kiddie pools full of pudding."

Now this is getting nuts. One of the craziest comment threads we have seen he on the old T&Y blog for sure. For Jeff (our Jeff) it would have to be tapioca. I not sure what kind other Jeff prefers.

And by the way, if you ever have trouble seeing the word verification thing, don't ever click on the little wheelchair icon. It is the scariest thing I have ever heard.

I guess I say "ever" a lot when I am scared.

Jeff said...

Jeff, you seem like a fairly reasonable guy. If your avatar is anything like a representation of you, you have a five o'clock shadow that says "I don't have time to waste by shaving EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK" - and I can relate to that. Often I grow a beard - JUST BECAUSE I FORGET TO KEEP SHAVING.

Because of this, I suggest we forego our fight to the death and simply join forces as "the two guys next to Scott McDaniel on the Pittsburgh Comicon mailing list". By this I mean we should both get tables flanking Mr. McDaniel, and everyone who wants to approach his table to get a book signed or ask for a character sketch must first buy something from us.

Let me know what you think about this. If you don't THE FIGHT IS BACK ON!