Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thing sketchbook, part 9

It's come to my attention that I haven't posted in a while.  After some vigorous research, I find that it's been over a week since my last blog!  This is unacceptable, but I have just the remedy - a brand new batch of Thing sketches!  Let's take a peek:


Ben Lichius - Pittsbugh Comic & Collectibles Show 2010

Ben Lichius is the co-creator of the Black Coat, a Revolutionary War-era hero (in the vein of Zorro or Batman) published by Ape Entertainment.  Ben drew the Thing in this Blackbeard getup, which is reminiscent of the story in Fantastic Four #5, where the Thing went back in time and decided to be Blackbeard for a while.  Really.



Jeff McComsey - Baltimore Comic-Con 2011

Hey! It's the first "Trench Coat Thing" of the sketchbook! Jeff McComsey's FUBAR booth was one of the highlights of the Baltimore Comic-Con and he was busy all weekend sketching in copies of FUBAR's just released second volume, so of course I hounded him to add his take on the Thing.

Jeff actually kept the book overnight between Saturday and Sunday; situations like this cause me to fidget. But he protected the book with his life and I ended up with a real gem.




Ken Hunt - Baltimore Comic-Con 2011

Artist Ken Hunt sat at the Wagon Wheel Comics booth at the 2011 Baltimore Comic-Con, and like any good host, I put him to work right away with the Thing sketchbook.




David Hammond - XCon World 2011

I made the trek back to Myrtle Beach this year for XCon World, a tiny show that just so happens to be on the beach. David Hammond was sitting behind me at the show, which was the perfect opportunity for me to add him to the sketchbook. The result is one of the most unique takes on the Thing in the entire book - and the "depth" in the character's shoulders is quite the nice touch.



Bob Camp - XCon World 2011

Bob Camp is most certainly best known as the co-creator of Ren & Stimpy...so he Thing-ified Stimpy in this sketch. The quote is just lovely.

And THAT, my friends, is all of the Thing sketches I have at present.  I'm not quite half way through my sketchbook at this point, which means I've got lots more to come, though it'll take a while as these things do.  I'll post 'em as I get 'em.  I hope that everyone has enjoyed seeing these 45 sketches so far!

No comments: