Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Someone please invent a time machine.


A week or so ago I had a conversation with a very nice Teddy and the Yeti fan from the spacious state of Texas.  She bought the first two issues of the book, and I wrote to thank her and to ask how she had heard of the title - I'm always curious how people find the book, especially when they are from Texas, where I've found few inroads so far.  She mentioned that she had seen the first issue listed in an issue of Comic Shop News, which resulted in my head exploding.  But only in a metaphorical sense.

Comic Shop News is a weekly promotional publication that many comic shops give out; it previews upcoming books and has a few other features - articles and the Spider-Man newspaper strips, for example.  It's mostly used as a tool for comic shops to suggest new books to customers, as it lists titles and short descriptions of new releases.  I'd imagine that if Teddy and the Yeti was included in an issue it would be as a simple four-to-five line text piece with the official description, but still...I need to find a copy of this.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Teddy and the Yeti would have appeared in an issue distributed sometime in October 2009, which is when the book was listed in Diamond's Previews catalogue (the picture at left is just a random recent issue; not necessarily the one I'm looking for) and two months before it was supposed to ship through Diamond.

As this publication has a limited span in which it is relevant, I can't imagine that many copies from last year are still around to be had - but then again, comic book fans are nothing in not stringent collectors, so I guess you never know.  In any case, if anyone reading this has any leads I might be able to follow, I would really appreciate the help - having a Teddy and the Yeti reference in a publication such as this is pretty cool, and I'd like to own a copy ("Oh, Zoidberg, at last you're becoming a crafty consumer!  Hello?  I'll take eight!"), even if it's nothing more than the same thing that was in Previews.


No comments: