Monday, September 5, 2016

Thing sketch cards, part 5

Let's take a look at another batch of Thing sketch cards!


Mark S. Dali - This is another fairly random card that I picked up for a good price. The Thing's eyes are kind of beady and haunting, and I like his pronounced jaw, but for some reason I keep coming back to the rectangular blue background. It just adds something nice to this one.


Jason Worthington - I'm not familiar with Worthington's work, but wow, what a great job he did on this Thing card! I think the coloring really puts it over the top. Plus that signature in the upper left is nifty, too. This is one of my favorites.


Joe Phillips - Joe Phillips is a Marvel trading card pro - I can remember his work from several '90s card lines - so it was really neat to get an original from him. Also neat is the fact that this card, from the 2013 Marvel Fleer Retro set, was printed with the express purpose of drawing the Thing on it. Everything on the card is black and white except for the original art.


The back of the card is also specialized for The Thing, complete with power ratings and a stock image from Ryan Stegman.


Dan Day - This card comes from the Rittenhouse Archives Complete Avengers line. Rittenhouse Archives also produced a Fantastic Four card set in a similar format. The Thing has been an Avenger, so it counts. Art on this card is by Dan Day, who drew some issues of Dr. Strange and Marvel Comics Presents, among others.


This card has a stock back image congratulating you (or me) on finding the card. I wonder how many people find a sketch card and end up keeping it.


J. McKenzie - This card is drawn by J. McKenzie, whose signature is pretty close to the one I slap on comics when I sign them. I'll admit that I did a double take upon seeing it, even thought I was certain that I didn't draw it myself in some kind of coma or trance. I like the image, but I think the red background is too similar to the orange and is a bit distracting. But that's okay, J. McKenzie. I still love it.

I'll post more sketch cards...at some other point!

No comments: