Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Pictures from the 2016 Comic-Con International, part 3: Thursday (Michael Rooker, "Weird Al" Yankovic, NerdHQ and more!)

It's time for more pictures from Comic-Con! These ones are from Thursday the 21st.


Because I was meeting some people, I got to Comic-Con pretty early this day - around 7:00am. Even though there are always people in lines no matter what time it is, there wasn't a big crowd outside at this point in the day. I dropped some things off in the convention center and got to see what Comic-Con looks like when almost no one else is there.


After a few minutes inside, I started the walk back to the Spreckels Theater a few blocks away. This was one of the few times that I got to actually take a look at some of the things happening outside of the convention center.


Right outside of NerdHQ at the Children's Museum was a Star Trek display (I think they had a fashion show here later on) with an original series bridge and transporter replica. If you were willing to wait in a (very long) line, you could get your picture on stage.


The new Star Trek makeup line was being advertised at a number of locations during the convention. Wouldn't this just be...regular makeup? Oh well.


After waiting in line to get tickets for this day's Conan O'Brien filming, I tried (and failed) to pick up my Mattel order at the adjacent hotel. But I did meet Spider-Man there.


Then I went back to the convention hall...and Spider-Man was there, too!


I mostly stay away from the biggest booths at the show as they are difficult to navigate...but the DC booth did have some show costumes on display.


It seems that fans are willing to really go out to make a good Hawkman/girl/woman costume. The wings really make it.


Here's a rather suspicious Black Widow.


Do they sell these giant Spaceballs helmets somewhere?


This guy is really pulling off the look.


My friend Nick dressed up as X-Man Quentin Quire.


Thursday is the first day for the world famous Taco Truck...which I guess is now called "Tacos Mexico". Thank goodness for the taco truck. It's one of the things I look forward to most every year.


After eating a burrito, I saw Michael Rooker from the Walking Dead walking briskly through the convention center. This is the picture he was willing to take with me - I'm pretty happy with it. It looks like I'm sneaking up behind ol' Merle.


Conan filmed in the early afternoon on this day, so I missed a few hours of the convention for it. It was worth it, though, because "Weird Al" Yankovic was performing on this episode. I even had a chance to meet up with drummer Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz a little bit before the show. I gave him a few of the "Weird Al at Comic-Con" prints that I made. It was a good time.


The show was set up much like Wednesday's taping. This time around, Bruce Campbell, Nick Kroll and the WB superhero lineup (Supergirl, Green Arrow, the Flash) made appearances.


Al came out last and performed "Foil" from the "Mandatory Fun" album.



They crammed so much into this show. When Al was done singing, he ripped his apron off and leaped over into a seat to do a quick interview with Conan.


There was a lot of walking done this day. After filming ended, I grabbed the Funko they handed out and ran back to the convention center for the last two hours.


I signed some books at the New England Comics booth and ran into Kumail Nanjiani from "Silicon Valley"! We talked about the Tick for a while, which was fun.


After the convention closed, it was off to the races - Weird Al was playing at nearby San Diego State University. The campus was, of course, beautiful, and their outdoor theater was very impressive. I handed out the rest of my Comic-Con posters, which went over pretty well.


The seats were great, the weather was cool and the concert was fun. It was a good time.


BUT THE NIGHT WASN'T OVER YET! This was a busy day. I ended it by heading back downtown to Nerd HQ's annual dance party, which is always packed.


While I was there, I met some friends. I have no idea who these people are. They are also not this much shorter than I am.


The NerdHQ photo booth is a yearly tradition. That's Flutter's Jennie Wood on the right.


More pictures to come. Looking back at these pictures, it's hard to believe that I did so much in one day. But I guess that's what Comic-Con is.

No comments: