Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pictures from the 2013 New York Comic-Con, part 3: the Aftermath



I've got a few more pictures to share from October's New York Comic-Con - these were taken just following the show.  I've also included some of the swag I picked up and feel like displaying.  Let's get to it!


New York can be a lovely city at both day and night.  Above are some of the well-known landmarks, all lit up and the like.



The FUBAR crew got together at an Irish pub just a few blocks from the convention center on Saturday night.  We pulled tables together and had a nice night of it.  Pictured jutting his head in front of Jeff McComsey on the left of the picture: Rafer Roberts.


On Sunday, while the show was winding down, I hit the road to nearby Metlife Stadium to see the Steelers wallop the Jets.  Wins have been a precious thing this year for the Steelers, but this was one of the good days for sure.  As the clock ran down, fans of the black and gold took over the stadium.  Here I am with some new friends.


Unbeknownst to them, I also took some pictures with Jets cheerleaders.



In my one day at the con, I managed to pick up a number of really cool items.  Here's what they all look like piled up next to each other for some reason.


First off, we've got some original art.  Both the above and below pages are original inks over reproduced blue line pencils (so these are both original and not original art pages).  At top is Scott Hanna's inks over the blue lines of Stuart Immonen (doing his best Bryan Hitch impression) from Fantastic Four #569!  Despite my misgivings about the Thing's doomed wedding from this issue, having an image of Ben Grimm in a tux is a wonderful thing.


I bought this page directly from Joe Rubenstein.  It's his inks over the blue lines of Mark Bagely from the very recent Fantastic Four (current series) #12.  We've got all four members of the team, Franklin, Valeria, an alternate reality Human Torch PLUS some weird dinosaur thing!  Super neat.


Upon buying the highly recommended Battling Boy, I was given a poster, a shirt and a limited print for free!  It was quite a deal - and Paul Pope signed both the poster and the book as I waited.


Here's another installment of "it pays to know people".  I met up with Rafer Roberts - artist on FUBAR, Plastic Farm and the above comic - and I convinced him to give me a copy of the newly printed, fantastic mini comic Thanos and Darkseid: Carpool Buddies of Doom.  It's every bit as good as it looks.


Roberts previously worked with writer Justin Jordan on a short Thanos/Darkseid carpool story that knocked everyone's socks off.  How do you top a story like that?  You add in Dr. Doom, of course, and the result is just magical.  I have no idea if any of these books made it out into the real world, or if they were just handed out to fellow creators at NYCC.  It's a great item, to be sure, and I'm happy to have one for myself.


I also met briefly with Jon Goff, a fellow writer who had issues of Big Hitters on sale.  Goff works on Big Hitters with Travis Sengaus, who has done some art for Teddy and the Yeti and Ultimate Hero with me.  The book itself comes highly recommended.  It's an epic space romp and it plays very well.


Lastly, I picked up this tiny page of thumbnail art from Jeff McComsey!  At it says, this is some mini art from the upcoming Mother Russia graphic novel.  I'm a big fan of production art (and pretty much any art, really), so this is going up on the wall at some point.

The New York Comic-Con is a fun place to be.  It's definitely over crowded and it doesn't live up to the hype of, say, Comic-Con in San Diego, but it's still one of the country's premier comic conventions.  I hope to be able to go next year as well.  If I do...I'll take some pictures.

No comments: