Friday, February 1, 2013

Comic-Con 2013 bound! And a FUBAR release!


As anyone who's read this blog knows, last year's trip to Comic-Con international in San Diego was a pretty big deal.  Not only was it lots of fun, but I was able to meet a lot of great people and make some inroads that ultimately led to my writing this year's Tick Free Comic Book Day special.  I had a booth in the small press section and I created a costume to wear around the convention, and both of these things took an unbelievable amount of planning and legwork to make happen.

I was pleased with the results on both ends, but once the show was over, I started thinking about the 2013 show and realized that if I was lucky enough to get a booth once again, I'd have to start planning almost immediately, and honestly, I didn't know if I had it in me.  There was so much preparation work for the show that it took up a lot of my time that would otherwise be reserved for writing and creating comics, which was, of course, the reason for going in the first place.

So I eventually decided that I wouldn't be applying for a booth for the 2013 show, but I took a chance and applied for professional registration, and I'm happy (shocked, really) to say that I was accepted and will be attending with a red badge this time around.  The Comic-Con organization, as always, is incredibly generous in its attempts to cater to the comic book industry and promote comics in general.  The process was incredibly simple - I filled out the application, went online to claim my badges, and got my e-mail confirmation.

It should be a fun time, and a different experience than last year, when nearly all of my waking hours were taken up setting up the booth, standing and selling behind the booth, adjusting things for the booth, buying things for the booth...it was stressful at times.  This year I'm looking forward to seeing more of the attractions both inside and outside of the convention center and maybe sitting in on a few more panels.  There'll still be lots of networking and signing going on - the plan is that I'll spend some time at the New England Comics booth over the event - but there'll be time for other things, too, and I'm excited about that.

I'm sure, just like last year, that I'll be posting many more things about Comic-Con before the show takes place.  But for now I'm just happy to know that I'll be going back for another swing at things.


For those who missed it, Wednesday saw the release of the FUBAR Winter Special!  I've got two stories in it and there are several other great contributions from folks like Chuck Dixon, Jeff McComsey and Steve Becker.  Numbers on this issue were pretty good, so chances are that your store ordered a copy or two for the shelf, so pick one up if you've got the chance!  The FUBAR train keeps on rolling.

No comments: