Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My comic shop



There have been a couple times where I've considered getting my comics from an online, mail order, discount service.  The promise of new comics at cheap prices has its obvious appeal, but I find that keep coming back to the same shop I've been frequenting since 2001 because:

- I fear change;
- it's easier to see that I am directly contributing to the welfare of the store/store owner;
and perhaps most importantly,
- I enjoy the "event" that is going to the shop, picking up my books, and interacting with the people there.

Every time I go on vacation, I find myself looking for a comic shop to visit, not only because I don't want to miss new books, but because I want to sample the atmosphere.  Now that I spend a lot of time in North Carolina, I go to Fanboy Comics every so often.  When I spent a summer in the state of Washington, I shopped at (and loved) Olympic Cards and Comics.  Now that Evil Genius has opened up  in my old hometown, I'm sure I'll be hitting them up from time to time.  But Impossible Dreams Comics in Bridgeville, Pennsylvania continues to hold my pull list, and I'll keep that list there until I move so far away that I can't possibly make it back in a reasonable amount of time.

The shop is pretty small and where others have branched out into gaming and cards, Impossible Dreams is exclusively comics - so you know what you're in for when you go there.  Anyone in the Pittsburgh area should check the store out (and pick up a copy of Teddy and the Yeti while you're at it...) on a new comics Wednesday and say hi to Lou, the store owner, and Caleb (or is it Kaleb?), his dog.

I think that everyone should have "their" shop...this one's mine.

P.S.  This is my 100th post.  You're welcome, world at large.

No comments: