Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Pictures from the 2019 Comic-Con International, part 9


Hey, let's have one more post for Comic-Con 2019! As usual, I spent a few days after the convention in town, and some of it kinda had things to do with comics. Let's wrap it up!


The San Diego Central Library is really a wonder. It's beautiful to look at and fun to explore. I don't always get to visit when I'm in town, but I was able to take the elevator to the top floor this year and see some of the exhibits on display, including one on pulp magazines and comics.


This picture is from the rare books collection.


There was another small exhibit on bookplates, which I think are very neat.


The exhibit extended along the wall and included a lot of great artwork.


There were also some comics on display! I see you, Fantastic Four #112!


Near the entrance, there were boxes of cheap comics on sale! I didn't have time to flip through them, but it's great to see that there were some affordable reading copies out in a prominent area.


Every year, I go to the Cat Cafe after the show is over. Let it be known that there are still cats in residence.


And that they are adorable.


The Amazon offsite was coming down on Monday afternoon.


I went to Balboa park on Monday and saw the future site of the Comic-Con Museum. I wanted to visit over the weekend, as it was open in conjunction with the convention. They had some fun-looking exhibits happening and in general I wanted to see what it looked like, but it just never happened. The museum is several miles from the convention center, and with parking as it is, and with schedules as they are, I could never find the time to get away.

I have to imagine that the museum will just continue to be a bigger and bigger part of Comic-Con moving forward, especially after it officially opens in 2021, and I hope to be able to see inside sooner or later, but the distance between the two sites presents some challenges.


I did get to visit the air and space museum, though, which is right next to the Comic-Con museum.


It was fun!


Also, I saw this giant concrete(?) lemon as I drove through Lemon Grove!


A lot of the electrical boxes around town are pained with interesting artwork.


On Tuesday, I visited the aquarium!


And I saw a yeti crab! Look at that little guy. What's that? He's dead and collected in a jar? Yikes!


After leaving San Diego, I spent a few days in Los Angeles, where I went to the Griffith Observatory. I had been there last year, but this time I went after the sun set and got to take a peek though some telescopes.


I was able to see, in astonishing detail, both Saturn and Jupiter. I could see the rings of Saturn! I could see some of Jupiter's moons! It was absolutely incredible!


On my last day in California, I happened upon, quite by accident, the Original Farmers Market.


This was like a land out of time. It's a quaint little shopping village and market that has a very retro feel to it. I'd like to go back if I find myself in the area again.

Let's take a look at some of the things I picked up for myself at Comic-Con!


I don't know why I got this, but I did. It's a signed, limited and graded copy of Walking Dead #192. These were available at the Image Comics booth and they sold quickly.


I picked up this print from Monkey Minion Press! I got their first print the year before, so I had to get the second. These had a print run of 100.


I'll never reveal how I was able to get this vinyl dumpster fire toy from 100% Soft. Let's just say that it was very cutthroat. But I'm glad I was able to get one - look at how cute it is!


Ian Nichols surprised me with some Thing original art - I'll post the whole page a bit later, but suffice it to say, I love it.


And speaking of Ian, I picked up some of his roughs at the show, as well. At top is a layout from the Comic-Con Special issue of The Tick...


...and here's some design work for Ian's cover to IDW's Usagi Yojimbo #1, with featured The Tick!

Always happy to relive some memories and share some Comic-Con pictures with the world at large after the show. Thanks for checking 'em out with me.

No comments: