Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Pictures from the 2019 Comic-Con International, part 5 (Friday, 7/19)

It's time to finish up Friday's pictures at Comic-Con!


I feel like this might be the best group shot I took during the whole convention. Everyone looks really good!


I spent a good portion of my Friday afternoon getting three autographs that happened to take place at right around the same time. The first was from the team of "They Called Us Enemy", a wonderful new graphic novel based on George Takei's time in WWII Japanese internment camps. I thanked him for continuing to stand up to injustices, and he responded by saying, "it's my life's work". It was great to see him.


Back at the New England Comics booth, I managed to take a shot of this original page of Ben Edlund art from The Tick #2; it sold later in the show to some lucky dog.


While I was signing at the booth, someone asked me to draw in his sketchbook. I've only been asked this a couple times, and I'm always pretty hesitant to do it, because, well, I'm not an artist. But if someone insists, I'm not gonna refuse, so this is what he got. I did, in fact, see this bug the day before.  I signed the page differently than I usually do comics, and I immediately realized that I should change my signature to this, but I'm kind of locked in now, right?


Hey, it's David Ross, who dressed up as Cowboy Santa Tick in 2018! Now he's Aquaman.


It needs to be known that the new She-Ra cartoon is really great - a perfect show for today's audiences and one that I didn't know I would love so much. And what an incredible job this person did with her Catra costume!


Hey, he's a people alien.


Someone came by the booth later in the afternoon to show off his newly-purchased commission from artist Ryan Ottley. Heck of a job by the former Invincible and current Amazing Spider-Man artist!


I recently lettered a graphic novel for Dead Reckoning Press, an imprint of, if you can believe it, the US Naval Academy. Gary Thompson edited the book and he stopped by my table in the small press section to say hello!


DC Bombshells!


April's jumpsuit will never get old. Casey Jones also offers up an important opinion.


I don't...know what these costumes are supposed to be. Is that Velma from Scooby Doo on the left? Either way, these guys were enthusiastic about having their pictures taken.


Mary Marvel!


The fog in the fishbowl (really some well-placed fabric) was a very nice touch!


Here I am, awkwardly holding onto the table, as if I am about to pass a kidney stone or something. The person on the other side of the table is Chelsea Monroe-Cassel, who wrote the new Firefly cookbook, which went on sale at Comic-Con (and came with an exclusive apron)! I bought three! Chelsea was kind enough to sign all of them.


My last autograph hunt for the day was for the legendary Frank Miller, who did a limited signing at the Dark Horse booth near the end of the show. Miller's autograph can be tough to get and usually comes with a pretty steep price tag, but I was lucky to be able to get him at one of his few free signings. I got my copy of Marvel Two-in-One #51 signed!


He also signed a 300 poster-print for everyone in line.


As the show ended, I made my way up to the panel rooms on the second floor of the convention hall. I got there early enough to get a front row seat to the panel I was looking forward to the most: the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine panel, featuring members of the cast and crew talking about the new documentary that recently came out.


Did I shout the whole time? Yes! Can you distinctly hear me in videos taken of the panel? Also yes! I love DS9.


One of my first con experiences was seeing Chase Masterson at the Pittsburgh Comicon back in the mid-'90s.


There were a few fans who showed up in costume, including a "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" Kira and the "Trials and Tribble-ations" couple that I had seen earlier in the day!


After the panel, I turned a corner to use the restroom, only to find that...the staff exit was right next to it. That was something of a surprise.


And so I was able to get a picture with Cirroc Lofton, the actor who plays Jake Sisko!


And also Aron Eisenberg, who plays Nog!


And even the heart and soul behind DS9, Ira Steven Behr!


As the crowd eventually dispersed, I found myself in a conversation with Louis Race, an assistant director on DS9 whose credits also include Indiana Jones and Knight Rider! Louis and his wife hung around and chatted about the show and work in the industry for a good half hour, which I really appreciated. It was great to hear stories about his time on various productions.


He also was wearing a crew jacket from Knight Rider, which actually lit up (and still works after over 30 years! Several people ran over just to compliment him on his jacket while we were talking. I can't blame them.


There was one more stop to make on this long, busy day at Comic-Con. And more pictures of costumes to take.


I capped off the night with a screening of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, followed by some Dr. Horrible karaoke! I signed up for a song without taking into consideration that I had spent the last two hours shouting and had lost my voice. Did it go well? No! Should I have reconsidered? Yes! Would I do it again? Absolutely!

More pictures to come.

No comments: