Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How is Paul Ryan (the artist) handling his newfound fame/infamy?


One of my first posts to this blog was of a side-by-side comparison of 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin to the Baroness character from GI Joe.  Well, apparently the Republican party is choosing its VP candidates based on comic book similarities, as this year's selection is none other than former Fantastic Four artist, Paul Ryan.

Wait, there's another Paul Ryan?  From Wisconsin?  And he's an unapologetic ultraconservative just like Sarah Palin, teamed up with an historically moderate yet now supposed rightest-of-the-right-wing presidential candidate in John McCain/Mitt Romney?  Weird.


Paul Ryan the artist was my absolute favorite artist growing up in the early-to-mid '90s - something that was undoubtedly a result of him drawing my favorite book growing up in Fantastic Four.  Ryan's artwork, I think, still holds up even though the stories now seem a bit goofy in places, and I wish that he would return to the FF in some capacity, even just for an anniversary issue or something similar.  Ryan spends his time these days on the Phantom comic strip, so he's still got a presence, though I miss his work in comic books.


I'm sure Mr. Ryan is getting a lot of attention these days due to mistaken identity.  But he can take some solace (I guess) in the fact that at least one person, upon hearing that Paul Ryan had been selected as the official Republican vice presidential nominee, looked at the news with incredulity and said, "the comic book artist?"


1 comment:

Larry Franks said...

Back then I was just your friend Larry. Now I'm fellow blogger Larry