Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'll probably regret this later.


Please file the above under "Stuff I theoretically like but will complain about when I have to pay for it".  Yes, yes, I know...my category headings are atrociously long.

According to the teasers Marvel has been slowly leaking, the Thing will be part of the New Avengers book once it relaunches in a few months.  This is great, because I love the character and think that he should get more exposure.  The Fantastic Four in general seem to get pushed to the back burner when it comes to books that are promoted, really, but it seems a particular affront to the Thing because he DID have great marketing power - as much as Spider-Man and Wolverine - in the 1970s and 80s, when he had his own title (either Marvel Two-in-One or a self-titled book) and was more or less the star of every other issue of the FF.  So it's nice to see my favorite member of the Fantastic Four getting to be a part of one of Marvel's better selling titles.

On the other hand, I think I just heard my wallet cry.  The Avengers in all their iterations (New, Secret, Dark, Cheddar) are so overexposed - they get showcased in a great number of books, even if they're not necessarily Avengers books to begin with.

It seems that I always do this to myself: I wish for more exposure for the comics and the characters and the creators that I enjoy, but when more DOES show up, I always resent it a little.  Nearly every issue of the Fantastic Four has shipped with two or more covers for the past half year or so.  At first, this was novel.  Now I'm ready to start knocking things over.

No comments: