Sunday, July 15, 2018

I have a new convention banner!

I wanted to title this post "Look at banner, Michael!", but I guess I used that to show off my last convention banner, which I got...seven years ago. Sheesh. Anyhow, here's my new convention banner:


The art comes from the very wonderful Emma Glaze. I thought it would be kind of funny to see me sitting at a convention, staring off into space, while in front of a banner with the same image on it. I took a few pictures behind a folding table in, well, in the basement:


I hadn't used my last banner, adorned with Teddy and the Yeti images, in a few years. This is because I am lazy, but also because that particular banner started to get a little moldy. I'm surprised something like that could even get moldy, but apparently it is possible.

A lot of my comic friends (most of whom are much more successful than I) have banners with very simple imagery, and I wanted to do something kind of similar, and something that had my name in big text on top. I have no idea if anyone will see it and say "hey, I've read things by this guy and I don't hate them", but I'll give it a try. And look, my name is on this thing TWICE! That's got to attract attention.


I asked Emma to send me a blank version of the image as well, in case I wanted to go with a different font for the text at top. I ultimately went with what she suggested, but now I have a blank version on which I (and, now, everyone else) can write nonsensical things. Let's look at a few!


"The Old Standard"


"The Cry for Help"


"The Abyss Stares Back"


"Metacommentary"

I'll hang this beauty up for the first time at Comic-Con in San Diego later this week. See you there!

No comments: