Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Tick FCBD and SDCC issues, and where to get 'em

Folks, Comic-Con would have started yesterday in a non-pandemic year. I know that it was the right thing to cancel the show, of course, but it's hitting me hard right now. I miss it!

For their part, the fine people at Comic-Con are trying to make the best of a bad situation by broadcasting free panels on YouTube, and they've released some official merchandise, too. There's a lot of branded exclusive merchandise for sale, as well, though this might be stretching the definition of "exclusive" to the limit. Oh well! I still went for a few items...and I downloaded a PDF of the official program, too.

Anyway, this is all to say that there is some new Tick merchandise that is out now, including two books written by me, and there's an update on the Free Comic Book Day issue, as well. Let's start with that one!


Simply put, the FCBD Tick Special will be out on August 5th. It'll still be free, but you'll forgive comic shops if they're not advertising the event as much. This is probably happening because most stores have to limit the number of people who can come inside at one time (and for some stores, that number is still zero), but it's also because the folks behind FCBD decided to spread the schedule over a few weeks, between July and September. August 5th will see a handful of titles besides The Tick, including a new printing of Invincible #1 from Image Comics.

I've managed to get my hands on a copy of the book a little bit early. I think it printed well, and I hope that everyone who wants a copy is able to get one.


The Comic-Con special, which reprints the FCBD story with a sketch cover by Ian Nichols, is actually available now, a couple weeks before the Free Comic Book Day version! Weird how that happened. But I'm glad that it's out, because I didn't know if New England Comics would be able to put out anything at all. The book is limited to 300 copies and you can get it directly from the NEC website!


There's also another new-ish book to check out if you click on the link. NEC printed a store-exclusive version of the 2019 Comic-Con special and they just released it! You'll note that, at the top of the cover, it reads "2019 Limited Edition", and yet this is decidedly 2020. There's no great reason that this didn't come out in 2019, it just...didn't. But now it has! This one has a print run of 1000, and I have it on good authority that each and every one comes hand-numbered by NEC art director Bob Polio. Poor Bob!

You can get this one at http://www.necpress.com/TickSearch.aspx?q=sdcc as well. I hope you check 'em out! 

No comments: